Lamina flow engine is WHY stiring engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
ysj11211

Lamina flow engine is WHY stiring engine

Post by ysj11211 »

It seems that lamina flow is not stiring engine but why it is??
It even appears to not have stiring cycle.
I've heard that it also uses the Thermal Acoustic effect
But how the laminar flow and thermal acoustic effect are related to stiring cycle?
tibsim

Re: Lamina flow engine is WHY stiring engine

Post by tibsim »

https://tibsim-thermoacoustics1488.blog ... types.html
In lamina flow, I don't think the flow is laminar, since the gas is stirred up on both sides of the constriction, so maybe it was named that way as a deception. Because of this, it has a lower frequency and therefore works with a piston. I think it has a stirling cycle, just a thin one, but definitely not a bryton. Someone says it's otto, if I remember correctly. I'm not very good at it...
Fool

Re: Lamina flow engine is WHY stiring engine

Post by Fool »

It appears that name might be from assuming the flow through the constriction pipe to be faster and laminar. To get those to run, the system is tuned to itself, diameter and lengths of each pipe section. Using tuning procedures, it becomes fair to call their study acoustical mathematical tools. Acoustical engines; is not that far a stretch.

Stirling Engine and heat engine are sometimes incorrectly used interchangeably. As is Carnot Engine. Not a big deal.

Laminar flow Stirling's, pistonless and with a piston, seem to run similar to a jam jar pulse jet, except externally heated. Also similar to a put put (pot pot, in other languages) boat, but without a phase change liquid-gas cycle.

The Ryke Tube may be a super simplified version where there is just one tuned tube. The extra tubes in the laminar flow engines add delay so they can be tuned for a much lower, sub audio, frequency. Others with diaphragms weights and inner chambers, rice, also add similar delay.

Maybe?