How to reduce the noise?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Spacefog_

How to reduce the noise?

Post by Spacefog_ »

Are there any examples of a Stirling engine being enclosed with something to suppress the sound from it?
Tom Booth

Re: How to reduce the noise?

Post by Tom Booth »

Spacefog_ wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:09 am Are there any examples of a Stirling engine being enclosed with something to suppress the sound from it?
A lot of noise from a Stirling engine is not usually an issue as they generally run pretty quiet.

I would imagine those inside a cabinet for CHP units that might go in a home would probably have some sound/vibration suppression.
Spacefog_

Post by Spacefog_ »

Thanks guys.
Spacefog_

Post by Spacefog_ »

Can I ask for a weird favor? I must be doing something wrong but it seems I can not create a new post (despite having permission to do so), nor can I contact the mod/admin. I have cleared cache, deleted the board cookies, restarted, logged out and in again; disabled extensions. The main issue is that I can not type in main message layout itself. It looks blued/greyed out. What am I missing? Could someone please reach out to the admin and or mod on my behalf please? Or if someone can give me an email to send an email to. When I press Full Editor & Preview in thread message itself, it seems to somewhat work.
Spacefog_

Post by Spacefog_ »

I also get this message when submitting

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 506: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 1836: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

There has been problems, as you've described, with the forum the past few days.

I'm not able to use the administrator contact form either.

BTW a post above by ingridguerci94 is a spam bot post.
Spacefog_

Post by Spacefog_ »

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Oh, how do you know it's a spam bot post?
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

The text is AI generated, scraped from the internet. It is from a PDF and a section that is actually talking about diesel engines.

Stirling engines don't have an exhaust, so can't use mufflers.

But if you reply (using quote) the quoted text contains a URL.

In some way the URL is hidden on the forum and only appears as a tiny light blue dot at the end of the post.

The hidden link is to an "adult" content site.

The "new member" joined some time ago, and posted an introduction, it appears these AI spam bots are becoming more clever and harder to detect.

I reported this a few days ago. Usually it would have been removed right away.

Perhaps reports aren't going through.
Spacefog_

Post by Spacefog_ »

Tom it seems we're back in business :)

Not only were the bot removed, you can now post again, and it seems the phpbb board was updated.